Tuesday, March 18

What is in a name...

So, many people have wondered were we came up with the name for Creed. Honestly, I wish that it was a more spectacular story, but the truth is...it came from a baby book of names. One morning I was skimming through the pages of this book, like I had done for many mornings before (this was my mission). I read the name Creed and it's definition: belief, I thought..."hmmm...that is cool", so I said to Rob "what do you think of Creed for a name?" He actually paused, did his little head thing that he does when he is really thinking that it is a good idea. But then he was like "let me think about it." The days turned into weeks (at least that is what it felt like to me), I had already made up my mind that this was going to be his name, but Rob was going to have to agree. Finally he said "yes!"

But when you think of this name~Creed~it is different (I don't know another person with this name), but it isn't too weird. It is a word that you are familiar with, and it stands for something strong. Creed is what you believe. What do we believe as Christians? These lyrics say it all--

Creed
by Rich Mullins

"I believe in God the Father
Almighty maker of Heaven Maker of Earth
And in Jesus Christ His only begotten Son our Lord
He was conceived by the Holy Spirit
Born of the virgin Mary
Suffered under Pontius Pilate
He was crucified and dead and buried

And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am
I didn not make it no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man

I believe that He who suffered was crucified buried and dead
He descended into hell and on the third day rose again
He ascended into Heaven where He sits at God's mighty right hand
I believe that He's returning
To judge the quick and the dead of the sons of men

And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am
I didn not make it no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man

I believe it (repeated 4 times)

I believe in God the Father
Almighty maker of Heaven Maker of Earth
And in Jesus Christ His only begotten Son our Lord
He was conceived by the Holy Spirit

One Holy Church
The Communion of Saints
The forgiveness of sin
Ibelieve in the resurrection
I believe in a life that never ends

And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am
I did not make it no it is making me
I did not make it no it is making me
I said I did not make it no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man.

I believe it (repeated 10 times)

No comments: