The day E got this note, I picked up the kids from school, actually going into the building. The first thing E showed me was this "special note" from her friend Bob. Instantly my eyes widened and I looked over at Mrs. B (her teacher) and said "what a nice friend you have." That was exactly how Mrs. B handled it as well (emphasizing the "friend" part) and I was so thankful. Personally, I think this is way too much for 1st grade and I tried to not freak out!
Evidently, there is a lot of this going on in between Kindergarten, 1st and 3rd grade. I excluded 2nd grade because there are only 3 boys in that class and they are not even an iota interested in girls (I know because 1 of them is M).
E came home and showed Dad, who wasn't too impressed. We didn't make a big deal out of this at all. At least, so we thought...
About 2 weeks later, I was in E's room and she had taped this picture up so that it was a sign to see both sides (not a poster) in her room right up to her bed. On her desk, there was a piece of paper that had some scribblings of lovey dovey;s on it that included the boy artist. I had had enough!
It was time for a serious chat. We talked about how young she was for such things and how special it is when the time is right. Right now isn't that time. I told her she should focus on hanging out with her friends that are girls, she will have more things in common with them. She seemed to understand where I was coming from. I used age appropriate terms and analogize with her, not wanting to give too much information. In the end I could see she really was too young to really be thinking along the lines of "boyfriend/girlfriend". She has an innocence that I long to preserve, for the time being I think our talk has done the job.
It is hard to believe that this conversation had to take place at this age (7). I sure wish that other parents would talk to their kids and encourage then to be just that...KIDS! We don't want them to grow up so soon. I want my little girl to stay little for her little girl years! There will be a time, but seven isn't that time. Can I get an AMEN?!
BTW, E had taken the pics with my camera, not me :)
2 comments:
my e had a boy kiss her the first week of Kindergarten. Email to the teach!!
yeah! e told me this boy held her hand walking home from the park! i am NOT ok with this, it is my mission this summer to let my little girl be a little girl and in any way i can teach her that it is ok!
Post a Comment